Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Review: Animal Collective - "Merriweather Post Pavillion"


I was a little bit hesitant writing a review for the new Animal Collective. Partially, because I still feel as though Strawberry Jam and Panda Bear's Person Pitch are still pretty high in my rotation and wasn't yearning for a new AC record as much as everyone else. Because of this I was a bit hesitant giving it a fair listen; I was dumb to do it. Obviously "My Girls" had circulated through the interweb for a while, and I was and still am a big fan of that song. But i was very hesitant that the whole album would be as strong. I don't really know why I doubted it, because ever since AC has moved towards pop music, I have pretty much loved everything they have put out. I was especially fond of Panda Bear's Person Pitch because I felt that it really captured the wall of sound, reminiscent of 60's baroque pop, ala Pet Sounds etc. I think I was partially expecting this album to go a little bit away from the pop sensibilities that AC has been developing, back to their earlier albums that are much more challenging to listen to, and not my favourite stuff. With Merriweather Post Pavillion, Animal Collective is able to refine the pop style of their music without sacrificing the interesting blend that makes their music unique. To say that any Animal Collective album is "pop" is by far oversimplifying, but MPP is some of the most accessible AC out there, but still begs to be listened to on repeat to catch everything that's happening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was certainly interesting for me to read that post. Thank you for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool site you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Followers