Friday, January 9, 2009

Throwback: Propagandhi - Haille Sellasse, Up Your Ass

I remember first hearing this song when I was 12 and my cousin, sick of me listening to the pop punk bands of the time, exposed me to Propagandhi's "How To Clean Everything". This album still goes down as one of my all time favourites, if not simply because of the nostalgia: Being a rightous, 13 year old kid living in the suburbs, thinking I know everything. In all seriousness, I remember this track because it was one of the first political songs I ever heard that didnt stem from my parents folk collections. I was used to Dylan, Baez and Seeger spout politically driven stuff, but this was the first time I had heard something so overt, punk and in your face with a politcal message and was my first exposure to the Middle East conflicts. I thought it would be good posting this because of the troubles currently going on in Gaza, and this song provides a bit of a crash course in the conflict, albeit in a bit of a cynical manner. Enjoy.

No comments:

Followers